Popular Posts

FWT Headshot

FWT Headshot

Monday, April 11, 2011

One hit wonder series @ Sierra-at-Tahoe

Tahoe is one of my all time favorite places. Between the snowboarding, the scenery, and the vibe, I always have a good time when I go there. So I imagined this recent trip would be no different, unfortunately things don't always work out as planned.
Dreading the long 9 hour drive to South Lake Tahoe, I hit the road a little later than I had intended, and ended up leaving around 11am. When I finally got on the road, I was relieved to finally get a little time alone and to think. The day actually flew by, and before I knew it I was meeting up with my cousin at the base of Heavenly gondola. My cousin Jenn lives in San Francisco, so she makes it up quite often. After all she is the one who taught me how to snowboard so it's nice to come back to where it all started. After a quick bite to eat at a local brewery, we were all passed out soon after arriving home.
Rising early the next morning around 8am, I stopped off for some coffee before heading up to Sierra. Upon arriving, I ran in, registered, found a parking spot, then met my cousin and her friend Christina at the base of Grandview lift. Sierra always builds amazing features, and the last contest I did there was one of the most fun contests I have ever done, so I had high expectations for the setup of the course.
My expectations were far exceeded. The course was amazing and Sierra put in a lot of hard work to make this course for us. We had about an hour and half to practice, which was plenty, considering it was a jam format.
When the event started I was ready to begin. With only two of us girls in the contest, we were both having fun pushing each other. There were so many different features to hit, I almost wished we had more time to jam, but was relieved when they told us "last lap!" I had a ton of fun riding the course, and felt good about my performance, so I was anxious to get the awards going.
After they had announced all of the men's division, and didn't even mention anything about women being there, a dark cloud overtook my good mood. I finally realized that they weren't going to say anything, so I went up and asked them what the deal was since I drove all the way from Utah to do that contest. I was informed that due to the insignificance of the ladies performance the last few years, they were not going to honor a women's division. That was not what I was expecting to hear, and I was slightly offended. But before I could get any more heated I left, and decided to go visit my grandmother outside of Sacramento.
Happy with my decision to leave, as soon as the dark clouds came they were pushed right out by my "grammy's" smiling face when I showed up at her door. The trip ended on a high note, and we spent most of the night catching up. It was a very nice visit. I woke early the next morning and took I-80 for nine hours to get back to Park City. Man that drive is painful. But nonetheless I still had a great time and Sierra and Snowboarder Mag put together an amazing course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog


Pow Day at Mt. Hood Meadows

Pow Day at Mt. Hood Meadows

Followers