Popular Posts

FWT Headshot

FWT Headshot

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Billabong Flaunt It was the MOST FUN CONTEST EVER!


After being in Tahoe since Wednesday, and shredding hard on Thursday, we took friday off, hung around in Kirkwood at our amazing condo, and leisurely drove back to the lake in the afternoon. My older sister Lauren, and my cousin Jenn came up to Tahoe from various parts of California for the weekend. So Garrett was surrounded by all girls all weekend long:)
We met them, and their friend Peter up at Squaw for the opening night of the Snow Festival. We watched fireworks, and had some firestone pizza for dinner. I love being with my family.
Everyone retreated home for the evening and woke up to go ride Northstar the next day. I was participating at the transam on Saturday, and was really looking forward to the event. When I arrived, and attended the riders meeting, I was disappointed to see how poorly organized the event was. And many people, including myself, were over looked. I hope next year they decide to break people up into heats, instead of having 113 people drop at once. Everyone was really nice though!
I didn't let it ruin my day. I was excited to have my family around, and ride with them. It was fun to ride with my cousin Jenn, who was the one who taught me how to snowboard! We rode till about 3 then made our way off the mountain. They dropped me off at my friends house who we were staying with in North Shore, and planned to meet us later in the night.
When Garrett and I arrived at their condo in South Lake I was happily surprised to see my other two cousins Jamie, and Ashley had come up for the night too! It was a family reunion, and a much needed one after 4 years apart! We enjoyed each others company till a little too late, and we had to leave in a bit of a rush to get to bed on time for the Billabong Flaunt It the next day at Sierra-at-Tahoe.
I was awoken by the sunlight shining on my face. A definite sign of a good day:) Garrett and I packed up the car, drove up to Sierra, got a VIP parking spot and walked into registration. I was greeted by lots of shredder girls and familiar faces. I was happy to see at least 10 people I knew, including Kumara Kelley, and Nirvana Ortanez. Whenever these girls are around, we are bound to have too much fun. I waited for Kumara to register with the lovely ladies from Billabong and we attacked the boardercross course on our way down to the slopestyle course. Kumara and I literally scream with joy and excitement when riding together, we must be a sight to see.
After we laid our eyes on the slopestyle course, we were like giddy little school girls. FUN! FUN! FUN! GOOD VIBES! FUN! FUN! FUN! We couldn't have asked for a more fun and perfect course, and for once at a competition, I didn't hear one person complaining! At the rider's meeting we were told the format would run as a jam for an hour and a half. I almost didn't believe it! It was too good to be true, each girl got at least 4 or 5 laps through the park in the allotted time. Girls were pushing themselves and everyone was stoked and encouraging each other. In the end Lynn Neil won with some sick backside 720's, I ended up in a happy 6th place. There were so many girls doing so well I was very happy to make top 10.
Not only was there a slopestyle event, after the slopestyle,we had a rail jam just below the course. But they couldn't expect us to hike a rail jam setup right after slopestyle without food right? Of course not! Billabong supplied every competitor with lunch too!! They fed us delicious burritos with salsa, and gatorade, it was perfect, THANKS BILLABONG !!!
With some new energy in us, we were ready for the rail jam to start. It was a really fun setup, and the hike wasn't too bad either! There were probably about 25 ladies hitting the setup, every girl had great style, and was having a blast. It was all good vibes with everyone cheering each other on, giving each other tow-in's, and just generally being stoked. I was having so much fun I didn't want it to end, but was slightly relieved when they said that was it. We were all beat and ready to hear the results... I am happy to say I ended up in 2nd place at the rail jam, I had lots of fun and it must have shown through in my riding.
I hope Billabong continues to put on this event. It was judged properly, formatted accordingly, and most of all FUN! I can confidently say that every single girl who participated had a great time, and that is a huge statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog


Pow Day at Mt. Hood Meadows

Pow Day at Mt. Hood Meadows

Followers